Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I had a fun day today, despite the grayness and the threat of rain. I won't describe it. I don't really do that.

***

What am I going to provide to society? Obviously I can't back out and fall into the typically selfish desires of professional success as I have assualted that path. So what am I to do, teaching, politics, policy, diplomacy?

And how am I going to reach this goal? I'm remarkably unremarkable. I have normal grades. I don't have experience in anything except textbooks and health and beauty. I'm male and white in a unremarkable way. I probably come off pretty dispassionate and aloof in interviews (as that's what I am). I have NO connections and I loathe the idea of networking. Again, most importantly, normal grades in a unmarketable major with no experience in anything. What am I to do.

I figure the worst I can do isn't too bad though:
1) See the main character from Sideways.
2) A rural teacher in Southern Iowa, probably Centerville, while living in my family's original homestead. I would have a pretty lonely life and I'd have to radically change some things. No more concerts, surfing or any coast-only activities. BUT this life would allow me to read nearly every book ever written, see tons of movies, and I could become a great fisherman (don't laugh I love fishing). AND I would have tremendous influence. Poor rural kids are just as bad off as many inner-city kids; they just don't get the media coverage because of lack of proximity. But yeah most of them have a very limited perspective, even the ones that end up leaving their farm house confines. So I could dramatically increase their perspective and let them think in whole new ways. Generally the same attraction to teaching in general, but in a rural setting its perhaps the most true.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Blogger sonya said...

you keep being drawn back to iowa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home