Monday, July 04, 2005

TNT has aired the bastardized version of Saving Private Ryan. I knew it was a great movie but I forgot how great it really was. <<<>>> Anyway, it's more awesome than I remember because in the closing action seen Tom Hanks' character is dying after this last great battle. He looks at Private Ryan (Matt Damon) and tells him to "earn this, earn this." In the moment it sounds a lot less cheesey, but whatever. So my thought is how can I not try and be my the best possible version of myself after hearing that. Since I didn't join the military (a slightly regrettable decision) I'm never going to have that tangible moment where one person surrenders his/her life for mine. But my family, to some extent, has sacrificed some things for me. And way beyond that there are millions of people who sacrificed many valuable things in order for me to exist and thrive.

The point: I can't just be a corporate lawyer, or even some sort of everyday business man. But what should I do to earn this? I know a million different jobs that would earn me plenty of things, but not justify my existence. So what the fuck can I do?

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger sonya said...

conundrum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home