Thursday, January 06, 2005

Howard Zinn was on The Daily Show tonight. It was beautiful. There are a few of Zinn's ideas and conjections that I disagree with, but they are very rare. These differences in opinion simply prove how insignificant my mind is relative to genius. And Zinn is most definitely a genius. And not your everyday genius. Not one of those people very smart or innovative, but not genius. No, no my friend, Howard Zinn is a real, honest-to-goodness genius! Pretty much by himself, Zinn changed the historical process and the methodology of EVERY social science and humanity. He was really the first thinker to realize that history isn't merely told through the body counts, elections, and old articles. The people--the real people, the proletarians, the middle-class, the disenfranchised--of a particular time period are just as significant as presidents. For instance, someone looking at the results of the past presidential election could easily interpret that the America of 2004 was a resolute one. That is certainly not the case. Anyway, no one cares about this but me, and I have no point, and even if I did I couldn't make that point because I'm writing in awkward circles. Yeah Zinn is great. I need some sort of mentor like Zinn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home