Thursday, September 09, 2004

As a transfer student UC admissions really want to know what your major is and what you plan to do with your degree stated in your application essays. I'll refrain from a diatribe into how this unfair treatment of the transfer population, and how it's fueling the stereotype that transfers are old an dumb. Anyway, this UC policy means I have to make relatively big decision in the coming months. I think I have firmly decided that I'm going to major in history. Rather, I've decided I'm going to apply as a history major. It is entirely possible that I will detour from history later down the line.

While its comforting knowing what my likely major is I still don't know what to do with that. I see several possibilities: 1) Education, you know PhD, 8 more years in school, writing dissertations, ta-ing for no pay for a decade, eveentually getting paid 100k to lecture for 6 hrs a week; 2) Law, 3 more years after my b.a, graduate around 25 yrs old, 8 yrs at firm working 50+hrs a week, 200k+ as a partner in early 30's, challenging and stressful; 3) politics, no definited path, lots of work, little pay, evil like lawyer without the money or security; 4) business (i still say 'bus in ess' to spell it) probably a lot of money, hours range widely, 2 yrs post ba, not as challenging as law, education, more productive than law, slightly less evil than law/politics; 5) journalism, no school, god-awful pay, even worse hours, something i love and hate with equal passion...

Well I guess I better just make something up for right now and worry about this shitty decision later... Act as if ye have faith and faith will be given

1 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger michelle said...

i like the history major. please do journalism, thanks bye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home